Understanding TMT Iron Rods
What you should understand about TMT iron rods
TMT iron rods are Thermo-Mechanically-Treated iron rods which are known for high strength. The name is derived from the manufacturing process which is a thermo-mechanical process where hot steel billets are passed through quenching process.
This process hardens the outer surface of the iron rods, enhancing their tensile strength, while the inner core remains soft, increasing its ductility. This alteration in microstructure across the cross-section of the rod imparts enormous strength to it.
Also, TMT iron rods do not go through any deformation or twisting processes. This is why their surface is free from cracks and other defects.
They are generally used in construction for superior protection against earthquake and other natural disasters. To however ensure safety for your structure, TMT iron rods should be resistant to corrosion as this helps to obtain a longer life to your structure.
What is the manufacturing process of TMT?
First, to manufacture TMT iron rods, the billets are passed through a rolling mill stand. These billets are again passed through the Tempcore water cooling system. While passing the billets through the water cooling system, the water pressure is optimised. The sudden quenching and drastic change in temperature toughen the outer layer of the rods, thus making them super tough and durable.
Once this process is over, the TMT iron rods are subject to atmospheric cooling. This is done in order to equalise the temperature difference between the soft inner core and the tough outer surface.
Once the TMT iron rods cool down, they slowly turn into a ferrite-pearlite mass. The inner core remains soft, giving the TMT iron rods great tensile strength and elongation point. This design is unique to the TMT iron rods and gives them superior ductility.
More so, this unique manufacturing process and the absence of cold stress make this iron rods corrosion-resistant and boost their weldability.
Why you should choose TMT iron rods over local iron rods
- TMT iron rods have no surface deformities compared to local iron rods. Hence, they are ideal for critical infrastructure for better strength of the structures.
- TMT iron rods have a higher load-bearing capacity than local iron rods. This helps to reduce the number of iron rods required for constructing a structure, thus also reducing cost of construction.
- TMT iron rods are more ductile than local iron rods. This results in greater pliability, allowing for aesthetic designing of a structure.
- They possess high stress yield and the capacity to withstand sudden loads, hence they are highly suitable for construction in zones with frequent or high seismic.
- TMT iron rods have very few/negligible surface flaws compared to local iron rods, hence they are better at resisting corrosion, even in constructions which are frequently or permanently exposed to water, like canals, dams or bridges.
Go for the best TIGER TMT iron rods
TIGER TMT iron rods are high quality iron rods which have superior bonding with cement and concrete. They are produced with unmatchable yield strength.